Moving to Mallorca

Looking to enjoy a permanent or semi-permanent life in Spain? Then in an attempt to make your stay easier, we advise you to follow these general suggestions:
• Register on the Town Hall Census.
• Apply for an NIE number (identification number for foreigners). You will need it to buy a property, car, take out insurance, etc.
• Apply for your Residence Card.
• If your country has a reciprocal health agreement with Spain, apply for an E11 or E121 form. If not covered by the Social Security system, it is essential to take out a private medical plan.
• If your car has a foreign registration, remove it from Spain or change the registration to Spanish plates.
• Exchange your driving licence for a Spanish one.
• Pay every year the Town Hall taxes (IBI-Urbana Rates, Road Tax, etc.).
• Pay annually the Income Tax Declaration to the Taxation Office in your locality.
• If you are considering improvements to your house, either inside or outside, you must apply for a Building Licence.
• To open a business you must have an Opening Licence from the Town Hall and ensure your premises conform to all health, safety and legal requirements.
• If you own a property in Spain should have a Spanish will in addition to one in their country, to avoid possible complications.
• At the -moment, most of the local authorities and administration centres only speak Spanish. It is advisable therefore to be accompanied by someone who speaks fluent Spanish when you need to communicate with them.